The time is now to join a high-impact effort addressing the great challenge of climate change. Climate Central is an independent organization of leading scientists and journalists researching and reporting the facts about our changing climate and its impact on the public. We are seeking the services of a talented and motivated front-end web developer to assist us with a couple of exciting new projects, including a greenfield implementation of a website redesign for https://climatecentral.org, our core web property.
This position is remote, on an hourly, independent contract basis. There is substantial project work available in the short-to-medium term (up to 30 hours / week for the next few months, at peak), with a small amount of maintenance work likely to be available after that. Other large projects may become available over the long run. One current project has a tight schedule, but for others (the website implementation), the schedule is less important than flexibility in the face of changing requirements, dependability for work committed to, and quality of results.
Essential qualifications for this role:
- 5+ years professional experience developing software
- 2+ years experience with ReactJS
- 2+ years experience using static site generators
- Experience with JAMStack architectures
- Experience with Gatsby
- At least some familiarity with web mapping libraries such as Leaflet and MapboxJS
- A history of working effectively with designers and a variety of project participants
- Schedule flexibility
- Commitment to tasks assigned, and thorough communication
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Have experience with headless CMS products such as Contentful
- Have experience with automated deployment services such as Netlify
- Have substantial experience with web mapping technologies and geospatial data
- Have substantial experience with web data visualization, using libraries such as D3.js, Plotly, etc. or lower-level interfaces such as SVG, canvas, etc.
This position is fully remote. Climate Central’s headquarters are in Princeton, N.J., operating under standard US Eastern time business hours. Substantial overlap with these operating hours is preferable, but we are flexible. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
Compensation is competitive for a mission-driven non-profit. Hourly rate will depend on qualifications.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter including hourly rate expectations and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the exact subject line, “Front-end Web Developer for Climate” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.