Chromatic in a Nutshell
Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites using open source technologies and a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web's biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
We’re looking for an outgoing and motivated designer/developer to join our fully distributed team. We need someone with exceptional communication skills who would be excited to join a talented and tight-knit team in our compelling saga to rid the world of bad websites. A strong online portfolio of your best work should be included with your application.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work closely with clients and Chromatic team members on engagements to deliver exceptional designs, code, consulting, and advice.
- Participate in and contribute to peer design/code reviews and project stand-ups.
- Evangelize design/development/process best practices to Chromatic’s clients and the community.
- Engage with the open source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc.
- Estimating the effort required to execute interface designs and implement functionality.
- Attending client on-sites.
- The ability to present yourself to others in a way that represents Chromatic well.
The following experience is required:
- CSS preprocessors.
- Task runners.
- HTML5 APIs.
- Web content management systems.
- REST web services.
- Developing responsive web and/or mobile applications.
- Creation of and adherence to best practices.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strategic thinker that often anticipates problems before they occur.
- Live between GMT-10 and GMT+2 timezones.
Experience with the following is a plus:
- Object-oriented patterns.
- Strong Drupal theming.
- Wordpress theming.
- Agile project management methodologies.
- Git and GitHub pull request/code review workflows.
- Designing, developing and maintaining design systems and component libraries.
Some Other Important Traits
- Chromatic is a distributed team, so strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork and a positive attitude count tremendously. Serious candidates will be sure to include an introductory video with their application.
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want - Our office is completely distributed, you may work from wherever is most effective for you. We encourage our team members to work when it is most effective, so they’ll do their best work.
- Reasonable Bookings - We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Vacation - Chromatic does not set rigid vacation limits. We encourage our people to take vacation when they want/need it. So long as it doesn’t interfere with existing contracts or compromise project deadlines, we’re all for it.
- Health Insurance - Chromatic provides competitive medical/dental/vision insurance.
- 401(k) - Chromatic provides employees a 401(k) plan along with a 3% employer contribution.
- Disability Insurance - Chromatic provides both short and long term disability insurance.
- Life Insurance - All employees are provided with a term life insurance policy.
- Hardware - Chromatic is primarily an Apple-based company when it comes to hardware, but we allow our team members to choose the system that they prefer and we ensure everyone has up-to-date equipment/software.
- Exciting Projects - Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Parents, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Conferences - Chromatic frequently sends team members to attend and speak at industry conferences. Employees are encouraged to seek out conference opportunities to grow their skills and personal networks.
- Company Retreat - Once a year, we gather the entire company to spend quality time together away from our desks – usually somewhere quite beautiful.
- Streaming Music Subscription - Music is important to us; we provide a Spotify subscription (or equivalent) for all of our employees.
- Workflow - We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures our code quality but more so, makes us all better developers.
- Team & Culture - We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together numerous times per year and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.