We’re looking for a dynamic, motivated e-commerce web developer to join our remote team. You must be based in the U.S. and able to overlap with Eastern Time.
Hidden Gears is a human-centric, but data driven boutique e-commerce agency for clients nationwide. We enjoy finding ways to help businesses solve complex problems through smart design and digital strategy. Our clients are growing brands on Shopify and Shopify Plus, and many are the designers and producers of the products they sell. Most have unique business process challenges to solve as they scale rapidly. Our philosophy is to build elastic, scalable and sustainable websites that can continue to serve our clients’ needs over time as they grow. We have ambitious goals for ourselves and our clients, so we're looking to grow our team to increase our capabilities and boost client results.
This is a job that starts with logic, and involves creativity, problem solving, and good judgement. If you’re our developer, you’d have skills in front and backend development, debugging, QA testing and deployment. You’d be working closely with our two founders and a range of clients nationwide, so strong interpersonal skills are needed. Though we’re small, we’re fast paced, and the ability to work under tight deadlines and switch gears easily is key.
Lastly, skills are important, but so is life and culture fit. You’ll work with a flexible but driven, ever-curious team that embraces life/work balance and professional support.
These things will be in your wheelhouse:
- Scratch theme development as well as theme and feature mods
- Working with custom fields, metafields, etc. and out-of-the-box solutions
- QA browser and live device testing
- An understanding of ADA + WCAG guidelines for web development
- A working knowledge of SEO best practices
- Taking on, understanding and reverse engineering different codebases and rescue projects
- Great at communication (fluent in English) and comfortable being client facing
- A self manager - we’re here to support you, but your ability to take initiative and go after opportunities as you see them is a must
- Someone who excels at problem solving, puzzling; finding clever ways to find solutions to interesting problems
- A person who pays attention to – and cares about – the details
- A minimalist when it comes to code
- Reliable – our clients depend on us, and we’ll need to depend on you too
- Excited to work for a small business where you can make your mark
- Available on Eastern Standard Time (+/- 3 hours)
- 3+ years of Shopify development
- AJAX for Shopify (shopping cart functions, 3rd party integrations)
- Shopify Plus & Shopify Scripts experience a plus
- HTML+CSS, SASS
- GraphQL experience a plus
- API work with e-commerce adjacent services like 3PLs, email marketing platforms, CRMs, etc
How to apply
If we decide to move further in conversation, we will ask for professional references. We may not have the opportunity to respond to every application, but we’ll let you know it was received, and when the position is filled. Every application should include a cover letter with a list or portfolio of 4-6 sites you’ve worked on recently with your role and a description of each project. Also include your experience in remote work and agency work, whether full time or partial, in the past. Thank you.