LOCATION: Remote within the US or Oakland, CA
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking a Senior Web Developer who will deliver new features in the Content Applications (publishing, authoring, commenting, image library) team on a large Rails application. This person will support the Application Architect of the Content Applications team with mentoring and technical input specific to the Rails stack.
Daily Kos is a great place to work– your code will be used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to effect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond. If you want a job that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d love to hear from you. Our organization’s commitment to personal growth reduces churn and encourages a rewarding long-term position. We have an energized team filled with great people with different backgrounds.
We are seeking an independent, self-aware, remote-work experienced technical leader who:
- has strong and recent development experience in a large Ruby/Rails application codebase with an emphasis on delivering to production in their recent roles;
- has experience mentoring less experienced application developers through pairing, discussions, etc.;
- has production experience maintaining a production Rails “majestic” monolith into a service-oriented design;
- has experience being on-call for a production Rails application they contribute code to where the responsibility of on-call is shared across the team;
- has an interest or curiosity about in what is beyond delivering CRUD applications and why we might move that way;
- can clearly articulate their position on TDD/BDD/testing, etc.
- has experience integrating with third party APIs in Ruby;
- has an interest in learning new things
$130,000 - $140,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and supervised by the Sr. Applications Architect. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply.