What will your day look like?
You will spend your days working through and developing novel solutions to complex technical problems in collaboration with both your NearForm colleagues and NearForm partners in the ecosystem.
Your days will vary, some days involve long sessions in front of the laptop, or a half-day design session collaborating with other NearForm R&D engineers. Others may involve travelling to and speaking at conferences or writing blog posts about research findings.
Whatever your day brings, there will always be a new challenge and a complex problem for you to solve with the flexibility for you to work around whatever life may bring.
What will you be doing?
As a NearForm R&D Engineer, you will live and work on the leading edge of innovation both within NearForm and the ecosystem.
You will work on the development of new technological capabilities for Node.js and the Web platform. You will explore and develop new operational capabilities for NearForm as a whole, and will contribute to the open-source ecosystem upon which NearForm is built.
You will be working in a globally distributed team, spread across multiple time zones and geographies. Your working hours are highly flexible and variable based on the needs of the individual, team, and project.
Who are we?
At NearForm, we work with international clients who are industry leaders in their respective fields. Our role is to help them build solutions and platforms; help them to launch new product ventures and fundamentally change how they operate. The role of NearForm Research is to expand the opportunities for NearForm to help our customers through the innovation and development of new capabilities and technologies.
NearFormers are a highly skilled multidisciplinary team consisting of designers, front-end and back-end developers, systems engineers, data scientists, DevOps, and performance experts. We follow a modern agile development methodology. The combination of our people and our processes are fundamental to our success.
Who are you?
You are passionate about contributing not only to the commercial success of the company but to the open-source foundations upon which NearForm has been built.
What do we ask of you?
- You must be based in Ireland
- 6+ years experience developing multi-platform C++
- Evidence of real-world delivery of solutions and platforms
- Practical, hands-on experience with Open Source technologies and tools
- Ability to perform in a dynamic environment
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on research data and findings
- Ability to use independent judgment to develop novel concepts and solutions to complex problems
- Ability to conduct systematic analysis
- Knowledge of engineering research principles, practices, and protocols
- Excellent communication, analytical, and multitasking skills
- Capable of excelling in, and fostering, a professional and inclusive global workplace
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with multi-platform testing methodologies
- Experience with multi-platform performance benchmarking methodologies
- Experience with Security and Secure-coding practices
- Experience authoring technical documentation
What will you get?
- Work from home
- Work/Life balance: we have a genuine dedication to work/life balance.
- Family-friendly: we understand how important family is, so our flexible environment allows you to work around what matters - school run, no problem!
- The Wellness Hub: we offer resources and support and have a genuine commitment to fostering/improving NearFormer’s wellbeing.
- Knowledge perks: explore new hobbies, brush up on life skills or simply learn something new, there is something there for everyone.
- NearFest: we all get together in person at our annual company retreat
- Ability to contribute to the open-source ecosystem
- Mentorship and an opportunity to expand your own personal opportunities both within the company and the ecosystem.
Why do you want to join the team?
NearForm Research adopts a person-first approach to hiring. We hire individuals who are the most appropriate fit for the role. We value respect, inclusivity, and rich diversity of background and experience. To be a “NearFormer” is to be passionate about people first and technology second.
Although we are widely dispersed, NearFormers are a tightly-knit team. We trust one another and care about our colleagues. Building on our open-source origins, we promote the sharing of thoughts, knowledge and ideas.
NearForm is committed to shaping a better world in all that we do. Our global team is built based on respect, inclusivity, diversity and excellence.