HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join our growing team! This role will report into our New York or LA office, or can be based remotely.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting into our Director of Technology, the Senior DevOps Engineer will be our first full-time devops hire to own and operate our deployment infrastructure. DevOps team provides tools that enable easy, fast, and continuous evolution of Homer Technology Platform. Developers working on the applications that make up our platform use DevOps’ tools to release their changes into the production system. On a typical workday, around 20 developers will deploy their applications to production a total of 10 to 30 times. Developers perform these deployments independently; the DevOps team is not concerned with their timing. DevOps’ responsibility is that the tools are available, perform well under high load, and are easy to use.
In the future, the DevOps team will have responsibility for providing automated testing environments. These environments will run the same code as the production system, and the instances contained within them can be upgraded same as the production instances. The use-cases for testing environments will include reproducing production bugs, running cross-application platform tests, and aiding per-application development and Quality Assurance (QA).
- Own and operate large parts of our deployment infrastructure
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members on a team distributed in several time-zones using agile project management methodologies.
- Lead technical design of applications, from a deployment perspective, and participate in larger system design efforts.
- At least 5 years of experience building and managing large-scale systems with at least 99.99% uptime requirement ( or 3 years experience with a degree in Computer Science or a related field)
- Experience with AWS stack (ELB, EC2, EB, EMR, Redshift, Lambda, Kinesis, Cloudfront, AppSync) and CI/CD pipeline tools and processes (Jenkins)
- Experience with leveraging tools that allows to build infrastructure as code. eg: Terraform
- Experience dealing with engineers as customers and mentoring fellow software engineers in the ways of DevOps when appropriate
- Experience with monitoring and alerting technologies like Datadog
- Experience working effectively with a distributed team
- Experience with DevSecOps or how to implement sane defaults with security in mind
- Experience deploying and scaling applications using Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience managing and optimizing sql and no-sql databases
- Experience working with micro-service architectures
- Experience with application continuous integration tools. eg: bitrise
We like people who:
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders and other team members (product managers, engineers, data scientists and others) to define and refine requirements and then execute on them.
- Are able and willing to switch programming languages as necessary.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and know how to balance speed to market and elegance in technical design.
- are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build a complete and long-term solution for the whole ecosystem
- want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly
- The rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe. We’re bringing a love of reading and learning to children globally!
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.