Mattermost, one of Y Combinator’s top 100 companies, provides an open source enterprise-grade messaging platform to the world’s leading organizations that allows teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. With over 10,000 server downloads / month our customers include Uber, Samsung, Affirm, The US Department of Defense and more. Our private cloud solutions offer secure, configurable, highly-scalable messaging across web, phone and PC with archiving, search, and deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises technologies. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, our company serves customers around the world with a distributed organization spanning the globe.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you’ll learn more about working at Mattermost and come talk to us!
About the Role
Working in open source means your work is publicly visible. Your code will receive both credit and constructive critique from the community. With the right mindset and support these can lead to you a highly positive working environment and making the best engineering decisions of your career. Core committers include highly skilled volunteer developers from the community, staff employed by enterprises deploying and investing in Mattermost, as well as staff employed by Mattermost, Inc.
Read about our end-to-end recruiting process for core committers at: https://docs.mattermost.com/process/developer.html
We are looking for a full stack engineer with experience in data analytics and warehousing to help Mattermost continue to make effective decisions based on real-world data. This is a hybrid role spanning software development (both in-product and data collection infrastructure), data warehouse management, and business intelligence and analytics.
- Own and develop in-product telemetry and diagnostic functionality across the Mattermost codebases
- Architect and implement robust systems for integrating high volume real-time data from multiple sources
- Manage the data warehouse and write performant queries to support complex business intelligence requirements
- Support marketing, sales and R&D in identifying data requirements
- Adopt devops philosophies for managing analytics infrastructure
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related fields, or significant professional software development experience
- Demonstrable hands-on experience in in a data analytics or data warehousing role
- Specific or comparable experience using Amazon Redshift, Segment and Chartio
- Comfortable with both row-based databases and columnar stores, and how to define performant indexes and write efficient queries for both
- Clear and confident communication skills, especially in writing
- Comfortable with GitHub, Jira, Jenkins, CircleCI
- Experience with Salesforce and Zendesk as data sources and consuming data from SaaS application APIs.
- Works effectively while remote, with the ability to travel 2-3 times per year for week-long off-site meetings with team members
- Experience working in open source communities and analytics tooling
We’re looking for someone who wants to help us build the future of Mattermost and improve the way the world communicates. The right person in this role has the opportunity to have a huge impact on Mattermost the product, and its many users worldwide, but also on our open source community that has been key to Mattermost’s success. If this sounds like you – please apply!