Headquarters: Manhattan, KS
The Office of Educational Innovation (OEIE) is looking for a senior front-end web developer that has the experience to be the driving force that helps direct the front-end for our nationally-recognized PEARS SaaS application! We are a small team of highly skilled software engineers, support and QA experts, and evaluators. We greatly value learning and working together as a team to achieve our goals. As part of this team, you will have personal ownership of a product that is making a real difference in the lives of people across the nation!
PEARS measures the impact of nutrition educators and extension agents as they work to improve public health, apply the latest research to agriculture, and foster youth development and leadership, among many other efforts. We have the privilege to serve and support the tireless efforts of these public servants, helping them understand what works and what doesn’t, so funding can be used as efficiently as possible.
You will also work with the latest industry-standard technologies on a well-structured code base. The back-end of PEARS is built in Python using the Django framework. The front-end is mostly JQuery, but efforts are underway to adopt Vue.js and leverage related tools. As a senior front-end developer, you would help spearhead this transition by:
- Setting up build tools like Webpack, Gulp, LESS/Sass, etc. and training teammates on best practices.
- Refining our UI/UX and exploring new tools and patterns.
- Helping steer technical innovation and advocate for front-end development best practices and application organization.
The successful candidate should have:
- Experience setting up a build chain using tools like Wepack, Gulp and LESS/Sass.
- Experience building complex front-end systems using Vue.js, React, or Angular.
We are a highly collaborative team that enjoys tackling complex problems while continuing to impress our clients. Please review our vision, mission and core values
Why Join Us?
OEIE is a fast-paced and growing office in the College of Education at Kansas State University. OEIE provides technical assistance and capacity building services in evaluation and program development to various state and federal agencies, universities, foundations, and businesses.
As part of these efforts, we developed the Program Evaluation and Reporting System (PEARS) to streamline data management and evaluation efforts of K-State Extension and nutrition education programs. Since 2016, the program has been adopted in 28 additional states in the U.S. (and growing)! The team has recently received a national award for Excellence in Extension Evaluation
from AEA and an Award for Innovation
Benefits to working for OEIE include:
- Ability to work on-site in Manhattan, KS, remotely, or at a satellite office at K-State Olathe in the Kansas City area.
- Very competitive health, leave, and retirement plans, plus other K-State Employee Benefits.
- Sit/stand desk in your own office.
- New Macbook Pro and the tools you need to succeed.
- Annual conference trip (dependent on funding).
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five or more years of relevant experience. (This position may use an educational equivalency as determined relevant by a hiring manager.)
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a front-end developer
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field
- Experience building applications with RESTful Services/APIs
- Experience with and understanding of Object Oriented Design
- Experience using Git for version control
- Experience working with LESS and/or Sass
- Experience building applications with a responsive design
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, both verbal and written, being detailed oriented with a focus on accuracy
- Deep experience with Vue.js and Vuex
- Skilled at wireframing and prototyping new features
- Experience building applications with the Bootstrap component library
- Experience working with a back-end framework such as Django, Laravel, Ruby on Rails, etc.
- Experience with Interaction Design (IxD)
- Experience with Typescript
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
To apply: https://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/507890/frontend-web-developer