On being a Documentation Engineer at Balena
As a Documentation Engineer at balena, you will lead the effort to educate the balenaCloud user base by creating world-class documentation and tutorials, enabling IoT developers to get the most out of the balena platform.
You will spend your days testing and learning all the ins and outs of deploying IoT fleets on balenaCloud, including new products, features and releases. You’ll document and describe all the technical capabilities of the platform in a clear, digestible format. In other words, you’ll become the world’s foremost expert on all things balena!
The documentation and internal knowledge base of solutions will be yours to design and maintain. You will create and organize this content, making sure it is synced, up-to-date, and easy for external and internal developers to quickly find the information they need.
You will be a critical element in balena’s [support driven development philosophy](https://www.balena.io/blog/support-driven-development/), helping the support engineers be more efficient and accurate. You will be integral in recognizing knowledge gaps in our user base but also in our team.
You will work cross functionally with Engineering, Product Management and Sales. Think of yourself as an internal journalist, using the entire team as your source as you dig out the perfect descriptions of our solutions for customers and employees. You will be on the front line of accelerating the development of some of the coolest IoT and edge technology products in the world.This will be a full-time role.
- Manage our docs from end to end. Document new features, maintain existing docs, organize the structure and flow of our docs, and ensure accuracy, clarity, and consistency across all of our internal and external technical documentation, including GitHub repos.
- Work closely with the product, engineering, and customer success teams to understand technical details and their implications for users.
- Measure our success in helping users understand the balena platform via our docs, share progress with the team, and find ways to continuously improve.
Need to have:
- Excellent writing and communication skills. You turn complicated technical concepts into clear and interesting material.
- Able to dive deep while keeping the big picture in mind. You can create lots of great content while seeing how it fits into our overall story and broader goals.
- Able to work with developers and team members to gather technical details. Like a journalist, you aren’t afraid to ask questions to get to what’s most important for users to know, and root out knowledge gaps that will benefit customers.
- Organized, thorough, accurate, and close attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to set direction and priorities. You can be incredibly productive without much oversight and know where your time is best spent.
- Skilled at learning and teaching new technical concepts. You don’t need to be a developer per se, but you do need to be able to build a thorough understanding of balena products and teach others about our technologies.
- You believe positive user experiences are critical to success and love helping customers tackle technical problems
- Able to understand the product from a user’s perspective and explain features in a way that users will appreciate.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Nice to have:
- Experience building IoT and/or hardware projects. Bonus points if you’ve built something cool using balenaCloud
- Familiarity with IoT, containers, electronics, or embedded software development.
- Strong understanding of content and documentaion’s role in a SaaS developer platform.
- Links to resources where we can see your work and projects you are proud of will be hugely beneficial.
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
ABOUT WORKING AT BALENA
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.