npm is the world’s largest software repository, with over 10 million users and over 40 billion software package downloads every month. Our systems are critical to software engineers all over the world and used in every industry; from the public registry, which serves packages to open source engineers and small organizations, to our new enterprise solution, which provides single tenant registries for medium and large customers.
Can you learn quickly? Are you compassionate and productive? Are you self-motivated? — if you answered yes, this role could be an excellent fit for you. In this role, you will have both the freedom and the responsibility to make a significant impact on our systems.
- Get started quickly to help us with hands-on tactical support for immediate and ongoing infrastructure challenges
- Assist with the evolution of our highly available stateful storage systems
- Champion a cloud-native and declarative approach to infrastructure
- Make pragmatic decisions with the business in mind
- Foster a culture of automating everything
Experience / Skillset
- Experience with medium or large scale infrastructure
- Experience with application and infrastructure observability
- Experience with fully managed and serverless infrastructure
- Strong AWS experience, including AWS Lambda and RDS
- GCP or Azure experience will be considered
- CouchDB experience a huge plus
- Strong containerization experience
- Strong Hashicorp Terraform or infrastructure-as-code experience
- Legacy virtual machine management experience
- Identity Provider experience, Okta, Auth0, etc
- Observability platforms experience, such as Stackdriver, Splunk, New Relic, Elastic Stack, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, etc
- CI platforms experience, such as Github Actions, CircleCI, Travis or GitlabCI
- Hashicorp Vault experience
- Ansible experience a plus
- CD platforms experience a plus, such as Spinnaker
- Nginx and HAProxy experience a plus
- Postgres or other relational database experience a plus
- Redis experience a plus
- You’ve likely read: The Phoenix Project, The DevOps Handbook, and The SRE Book.
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn’t ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don’t interrupt anyone’s sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members across the US time zones and in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.