Contra is a professional network for the independent digital workforce. Digital professionals use Contra to create stunning visual profiles, earn money commission-free, and build high-quality professional communities and referral networks. Contra was started by a group of independents who were tired of existing professional networks that are blind to the needs of digital professionals. We’re creating a new way to work for the independent digital workforce.
About the Role
We are looking for a Lead PostgreSQL Database Engineer/DBA to help us ensure high availability and quality of our professional network.
You will be the first dedicated Database Engineer/DBA hire. Your role will be to establish the best practices for the company, implement it, and (over time) build the database team.
This is a highly demanding role at a very fast-growing startup, working in a team of highly-accomplished, yet humble team who deeply care about the mission of the company. If you ever wanted to work on a rocketship, this is as close as it gets.
How you’ll add value at Contra:
- Design enterprise-scale database schemas.
- Ensure the database runs smoothly and securely.
- Transform business requirements into relational database structures.
- Craft readable, performant and scalable SQL queries.
- Collaborate with the rest of the team through planning, code reviews and regular communication.
- Plan for system expansion and suggest improvements.
- Mentoring peers in database use.
- Identify and troubleshoot problems with data quality.
You’ll be successful here if you:
- Carefully plan your work and build for the future
- Deliver transparent, honest, and direct feedback to your peers on an early-stage product
- Enjoy participating in all parts of the product process, not just coding
- Thrive in a remote-first environment
- Are fluent in verbal and written English
- Backend: Node.js, GraphQL, GraphQL Helix, Redis, PostgreSQL, Neo4j
- DevOps: Gitlab CI/CD, ArgoCD, Kubernetes
- Frontend: React, Suspense, & Relay
How Contra can add value for you:
- Remote-first culture
- Healthcare for employees
- Well-funded company built to scale
- Competitive salary + equity
- Generous vacation policy + paid holidays off
- Flexible parental leave
- Team retreat post-COVID
- No Meeting Wednesdays
- Half day every third Friday of the month
- A custom Slack emoji, just for you
Our interview process:
- Complete a self-assessment form (10-15 minutes)
- Non-technical (introduction & culture) interview (30-45 minutes)
- Technical interview with CTO (30-45 minutes)
- Technical interview with Backend Lead Engineer (30-45 minutes)
You will receive the final answer from Contra no later than 48 hours after your final interview.