We are looking for a self-motivated developer who is passionate about remote working, building ambitious applications used at hundreds of universities, and automated testing. Help build industry-leading software used by librarians and researchers around the world to stay more engaged with their favorite peer-reviewed journals.
Third Iron creates the technology infrastructure used by millions of researchers to connect them with the content they need. Our services are used by universities, hospitals, corporations and government agencies across thirty countries. We are currently in search of a Senior Web Back-End Developer to join our terrific team of polyglot programmers to create and maintain software for our flagship products BrowZine and LibKey. Response to our products has been terrific.
As a Senior Web Back-End Developer, you will help make architectural decisions, write automated tests, code the implementation, review code, and collaborate with our team of polyglot programmers for Third Iron's flagship product, BrowZine, and our newest product, LibKey, and its supporting services.
- Contribute to our existing Third Iron Content Management System, written in Node.js and Postgres, and used by our internal operations team to manage large amounts of data from our hundreds of library customers
- Help shape and build our APIs, used both internally and by third parties, written in Node.js and adopting many concepts from JSON API
- Contribute to our variety of backend supporting services, written in Node.js and TypeScript, and which interact with Postgres, CouchDB, and Elastic datastores
- Stay up-to-date on the latest developments in Node.js, Postgres, CouchDB, continuous integration, and load testing. Learn about all the tools we use at our StackShare.
- Optimize and help scale our Heroku/AWS cloud-based systems as our customer base continues to grow to ensure solid performance for all users
What We're Looking For:
- A passion for automated testing, continuous integration, and constantly improving how we do things
- An interest in the devops and infrastructure side of things
- Back-end software development is 90% of the job, but about 10% will be in the world of infrastructure, including ensuring automatic deployments on AWS go smoothly, using technologies like Docker and Chef
- Experience with SQL; we use Postgres to store the majority of our data, and we will continue to improve the speed of our externally-facing APIs and internal processes
- Experience with, or interest in, Elastic; we're just beginning to use Elastic to maintain metrics, and we're excited to have your insights power us forward
- Strong communication skills - since we are a remote team, timely responses and clear communications are essential
- Experience writing test-focused code - we rely on both acceptance-level and unit-level automated tests to ensure we avoid regressions
- High comfort level with source control, especially git
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently, since remote work demands it
- Strong desire to learn new technologies. We want to embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software and let us sleep soundly at night, knowing our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire
- See the tech we use on our software stack on StackShare
When applying, please include anything that helps demonstrate your development abilities, such as:
- your GitHub or Bitbucket profile
- sample code you can share
- articles & tutorials you have written
- presentations you have given
- Stack Overflow contributions
- bug reports on open source projects
- ...or anything else you can share that is indicative of how you best contribute to a team
You can apply either through Stack Overflow, or by emailing us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently taking applications from people with US work authorizations.
We are currently only looking for full-time candidates; if you're a recruiter or software development contract company looking to hire out a team of developers, please skip applying.
Looking forward to hearing from you!