Software Architect Lead
THIS IS A REMOTE OPPORTUNITY BASED IN THE EASTERN OR CENTRAL TIME ZONE.
ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.
ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
This business unit has ambitious plans for growing and developing our business, and we need like-minded people to help us get there. We have a hungry, innovative start-up mindset that helps us develop advanced solutions to the problems our, global customer face.
The bottom line...
As a member of our team, you will have the chance to make a real difference in the direction and success of the company as you focus on greenfield development of groundbreaking new products. Your primary responsibility will be leveraging the latest and greatest technologies – including state-of-the-art NLP and machine learning techniques – to reimagine search and discovery and disrupt the industry. We want energetic, innovative problem solvers to help us achieve our goal of simplifying the research process. If that sounds like you, submit your application today, as we plan to fill this critical role soon!
Software Architect Lead
What will I be doing?
The Software Architect Lead is responsible for the application and system integration of large-scale systems and enterprise initiatives as well as serving as the steward of the overall architecture of the assigned area. S/he shall review requirements, write and review architect specifications, execute on specific tasks, and provide support for work generated. While this is primarily a technical position, the role has the potential to includes direct management responsibilities, depending on candidate fit.
In this position, you will also…
• Architect, design, and implement applications that conform to a business need; Typically will master multiple subsystems of a large-scale system, plays key roles in PQ enterprise projects, and sets architecture direction for PQ software development.
• Provide technical leadership on large-scale, highly complex projects; resolves issues; performs an appropriate level of research to determine solutions; and prioritizes and suggests technical strategies to achieve the long-term objectives of the department.
• Review requirements, generate architecture documents, provide rough order of magnitude estimates, and implements and executes unit, integration, and capacity testing.
• Lead architecture discussion with other architects to achieve consensus.
• Propose, develop, review, and revises new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high-quality systems.
• Support systems architected by others.
• Provide technical mentorship to other architects.
• Evaluate hardware and capacity needs.
• Investigates business opportunities that have no preconceptions or pre-established designs.
Reasons you should apply...
1. This is not a maintenance team! This team is building out the platform of the future for one of our key business units.
2. You want to be part of a team with great chemistry and forward-looking leadership.
3. You’ll be joining an elite team of technologists working in a collaborative environment to create and innovate new products.
4. You don’t mind getting your hands dirty… You want to dive in and make an impact.
This job may not be a fit if...
1. You’re uninterested in the business side of development.
2. You don’t like to explore new technology trends and push the business to adopt state-of-the-art technologies.
3. You prefer tasks to be delegated to you directly, complete them and be given the next task. You’ll need to be self-guided in this role.
Highly Desired Skills:
• AI/Machine Learning/NLP
• Cloud architecture
Software Architect Lead Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelors’ degree or higher in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• 14 or more years of software development experience.
• 10 or more years’ experience writing functional / detailed design / architectural specifications based on user and/or system requirements.
• Ability to support systems after hours or on weekends.
• Masterful understanding and application of several programming languages and tools.
• Masterful understanding of multiple mark-up languages.
• Masterful understanding of system interfaces.
• Ability to work with source control systems.
• Ability to work in an agile environment.
Software Architect Lead Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Master’s Degree (or higher) in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on personal advancement
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We are currently fully remote and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
Other important information about this position:
• This position can be remote or located out of our Ann Arbor, Michigan office.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a talented Software Architect, please consider joining our talented team!!
Ann Arbor = Forbes Happiest Places to Work
Link for Forbes Best Mid-Size Employers: https://www.proquest.com/about/news/2018/Forbes-Ranks-ProQuest-Among-Americas-Best-Mid-Size-Employers.html