Build delightful software for podcasts and spoken word audio. Backtracks is seeking a qualified Mid-Senior Front-end Developer to join our Product & Engineering Team.
Backtracks helps audio content creators and brands know and grow their audience and revenue. You will be responsible for building the client-side of our web applications and platform to deliver delightful experiences to our users.
- Prototype, design, and implement improvements to new and existing portions of our platform, website, and applications
- Improve appeal and usability of our different products
- Code and deploy new features in collaboration with our product and engineering teams
- Be part of a small team, with a large amount of ownership and responsibility for managing things directly
- Ship high-quality solutions with a sense of urgency and speed
- Work closely with both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution.
- Have the freedom to suggest and drive initiatives
We expect you to be a tech-savvy professional, who is curious about new digital technologies and aspires to combine usability with visual design. Ultimately, you should be able to create a functional and attractive digital environment for our company, ensuring great user experience.
- History of autonomous design decision making at technically focused companies
- History of designing and building web components, products, and technology
- Experience working on design and development in any of the following roles:
- Product Developer
- Product Engineer
- Front-end Designer and Developer
- Front-end Engineer
- UI Designer/Developer
- Full Stack Engineer
- Full Stack Developer
- In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
- Strong knowledge of:
- Know when to use immutable types, observables, reactive patterns, reduce, spread, etc.
- CSS, SCSS
- Compilation, bundling, and packaging via Webpack, Babel, etc.
- Front-end frameworks (specifically Vue or React)
- Node.js and npm
- Confidence or experience working with:
- Front-end test frameworks (Cypress, Jest)
- Experience with front-end build/deployment processes (Webpack, Babel)
- Strong design skills including understanding of layout aesthetics
- Motivation and an enjoyment for a startup environment
- Systematic thinker (consider how components can scale across our platform and product offerings)
- The ability to code and build out designs independently from no mock up all the way to working CSS/HTML/JS
- A blend of product, system, and people knowledge that lets you jump into a fast paced environment and contribute from day one
- An ability to balance a sense of urgency with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Strong work sense of ownership
- Strong collaboration and communication skills (fluency in English)
- PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, relevant field, and/or relevant work experience
- 5+ years professional experience
Other qualities and traits...
- Passion for podcasts, radio, and spoken word audio
- Passion for delivering high-quality designs with quick turnaround times (e.g. you ship)
- A product-first approach to building software
- An enthusiasm for hard problems
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
Bonus points if you have experience with...
- Web performance (time-to-interactive, dependencies, wasted renders)
- Building browser extensions, Node-based serverside APIs
- Audio processing and interaction on the front-end