We are a collective of people who are passionate about two things: the web, and helping people. We share a love of tech, design, and business, and a gung-ho urge to zag when everyone else zigs. All of us care deeply about our work and our partners in that work. This gutsy, authentic approach makes us a great fit for eCommerce retailers throughout the country.
Gauge has grown steadily since 2007, and we take the long-term view, both in-house and with our clients, so we need someone organized, proactive, and adventurous. If you daydream about what it could look like to be part of a web company that team members and clients want to partner with for decades, we would love to talk with you. We hope you are ready to be a major part of building the culture and creative process here at Gauge.
We are based in a modern office in sunny Savannah, GA, but we have remote team members all over the United States. This Account Management position is open to both on-site and remote candidates.
Gauge is a special place, thanks to the dedicated, ambitious, down-to-earth, and geeky people who make up our team. All of us truly invest in the clients and team members we work with. We want people who share our passion for creativity, business, and technology, so we've built a team of diverse people from entrepreneurs to project managers, designers and developers. We all work together to challenge and strengthen each other so we can do the best work of our lives. Because of this atmosphere, many team members have chosen to stay with our team for a long time. 15 of our team members (22 at this writing) have been with Gauge for 3+ years, and 5 of those have been with the team for 5+ years. We are both stable and growing.
As a Shopify Developer, your primary focus will be building and extending eCommerce sites on the Shopify platform. This work will range from custom front-end development to data migration, custom app development catalog work, and custom back-end development.
Youll work closely with Project & Account Managers and other Developers to set expectations, execute and track tasks, meet deadlines, and ensure excellent development overall.
This is a developer position that requires both advanced technical Shopify skills and soft skills like communication, time management, documentation, and collaboration. In-depth knowledge and fluency in Shopify Plus is a must; experience working with a development team is important. The Gauge dev team works together to solve problems, learn from each other, and build the best products we possibly can. If we were musicians, wed be an orchestra or jam band, not a group of separate rock stars. If thats exciting to you, we want to talk!
Were all about learning and growing, so youll be actively involved in both sharing your Shopify expertise and learning from your fellow team members. Youll be expected to hone your technical expertise and to build your management and leadership skills over time. We actively support this growth by providing resources, time, and a growth-oriented environment. We promote from within and reward initiative.
Our clients are people with dreams, families, and most of all, stories. They are part of a growing, dynamic and competitive businesses and they come from many different industries and backgrounds. We have the pleasure of helping them build something great. If we do our job right, theyll get to build stable and thriving businesses, hire more people, achieve career goals, and work towards their dreams..
We dont forget that there are people behind the email addresses we see everyday. They are motivated, interesting, and trusting, and we have built friendships as weve done business over the years. These long-term relationships and creative partnerships add up to make our job incredibly rewarding, but it takes work to build and maintain that level of trust; this is your primary duty
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain custom Shopify and Shopify Plus sites, apps, and integrations
- Custom Shopify and Shopify Plus front-end development
- Custom Shopify and Shopify Plus back-end development
- Migrate data from other eCommerce carts to Shopify in a way that is clean and effective
- Research, install, and configure various Shopify apps
- Actively learn and develop your skills, and help cross-train development team members
- Contribute to internal projects and code libraries, develop reusable snippets, and be actively involved in planning
- Collaborate with other team members, clients, and partners
- Work in a command line environment to perform automated tasks
- Update clients about project details during active projects, and help educate clients on the platform and web technology
- Develop documentation for code, standards, and workflow
- Paid Time Off: (eligible after 60 days) 20 vacation days, 9 predetermined holidays, generous sick leave
- Insurance: (eligible after 60 days) United Medical 50% paid by Gauge for employees; Life insurance 100% paid by Gauge for employees; Optional coverage for Dental, Vision, Short-term & Long-term Disability, and Supplemental Insurance; Spouse, dependent, & family coverage available for most options
- Retirement: (eligible after 1 year) SimpleIRA with dollar-for-dollar matching funds, up to 3% of annual salary
- Growth: A company-wide focus on professional development, including paid certifications and learning initiatives, on-the-clock learning time, company book clubs, and more
- Tons of other perks, like open, transparent leadership, no-bull no-politics culture, team social times, awesome equipment, and more