npm is the world’s largest software repository, with over 10 million users and over 40 billion software package downloads every month. Our systems are critical to software engineers all over the world and used in every industry; from the public registry, which serves packages to open source engineers and small organizations, to our new enterprise solution, which provides single tenant registries for medium and large customers.
What You’ll Do
You are a dedicated technical leader with a passion for mentorship and collaboration on open source technology. In leading this team you will work in a creative environment addressing complex problems. Our work has far-reaching impact and you will play a critical role by driving the strategy and evolution of your team’s work and the growth of individuals in your team.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together:
Support Open Source Projects & foster the community
- Support and advocate for npm’s open source community and communicate with them through our community forums and other public venues
Support a modern open-source practice
- Ensuring adherence to good process, alignment with goals, and cohesion with team members and the community
- Improving the frequency and quality of iterations over time through process, tooling, and analysis
- Participate in development and evolution of standards, guidelines and recommendations
Support a diverse team
- Made up of product management, engineering, and QA in delivering on key outcomes for our products
- Developing our talent with 1:1 coaching, professional development, goal setting and performance management
- Reinforcing our commitment to inclusion through improvements to hiring practices and stewardship of team culture
Support the product strategy:
- Building features and experiences that reduce effort for our community and generate tangible value
- Identifying opportunities for optimization, and leveraging data to drive continued enhancements
If these are elements you are excited about and are interested in helping npm guide and lead the team dedicated to the mission of improving our open source products, this is the ideal role for you.
What you’ll need to be successful
- Significant experience in interacting with and leading open-source projects and fostering communities
- Experience leading a highly technical team in building products and services
- Deep understanding of complex developer workflows with the ability to introduce improved developer experiences and simpler processes
- Demonstrated experience improving your team’s ability to deliver features at regular intervals that positively impact targeted metrics
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn’t ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don’t interrupt anyone’s sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members across the US time zones and in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.