npm is the world’s largest software repository, with over 10 million users and over 40 billion software package downloads every month. Our systems are critical to software engineers all over the world and used in every industry; from the public registry, which serves packages to open source engineers and small organizations, to our new enterprise solution, which provides single tenant registries for medium and large customers.
What You’ll Do
You are an experienced engineer with a passion for working on products and mentoring other engineers in technical areas. As a member on one of our cross-functional delivery teams you will work in a creative environment tackling complex problems. Our work has far-reaching impact and you will play a critical role by driving the feature delivery, solving technical challenges, and mentoring other engineers on your team.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together:
Support a modern software practice
* Follow processes, ensure tasks are aligned with goals, and work with team members to deliver
* Improve the frequency and quality of iterations over time through process, tooling, and providing feedback
* Ensure work follows our evolving standards, guidelines and recommendations
* Provide mentoring and guidance for other team members in areas of expertise
Support the product strategy
* Build features and experiences that reduce effort for our customers and generate tangible value
* Identify opportunities to improve our technology stack in ways that will positively impact our customers and community
* Maintain and evolve the codebase and systems in support of the portfolio’s roadmap
If these are elements you are excited about and are interested in joining one of npm’s cross-functional teams dedicated to the mission of improving our products, this is the ideal role for you.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to mentor, teach, and lead others
- Familiarity with HTTP and experience building well-designed HTTP APIs
- Familiarity with one or more modern component based web UI libraries
- Success building services in a microservice or SOA architecture
- Knowledge of RDBMSs and SQL
- Experience shipping software in one or more cloud providers
Great to Have
- Familiarity with distributed systems concepts
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Knowledge of one or more major CDN services
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn’t ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don’t interrupt anyone’s sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members across the US time zones and in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.