Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a member of the Talent Profile team, you will work on our first-class talent profile management and onboarding process. We own talent activation and profile areas which are vital for talent success. As such, we experiment and strive to bring new and enhanced features to our high-impact domain.
We are a product development team and you can expect involvement in where and how the team moves next, and what processes the team adopts and drops. We explore various directions often simultaneously. You can expect autonomy and freedom to lead product, technical, or cultural initiatives.
In our technical stack, we employ Ruby on Rails for two of our services and a combination of Apollo, TypeScript, and React for our single-page applications.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will build and maintain first-class software used by our vast talent network.
Among other responsibilities:
- Make decisions based on multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Mentor fellow teammates.
- Collaborate on novel ideas to improve the team processes.
- Lead initiatives.
- Care for and monitor the quality of our product.
- Raise awareness of technical issues.
- Develop a clear understanding of business value and collaborate with stakeholders by analyzing features and suggesting alternatives.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvements and suggest improvements in our technology stack.
- Bring up difficult and/or systemic challenges and impediments to the attention of your manager.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our technical stack.
- Learn about our front-end architecture and the way of Talent Profile.
- Learn about Talent Profile team processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
- Start working on general team tasks and become familiar with the domains.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Contribute to the Talent Profile’s technical excellence program.
- Learn and lead your first technical improvement initiative.
- Contribute to the team’s technical and product decisions.
- Settle in and get comfortable with the team processes.
- Start to receive regular feedback from your manager in accordance with the Toptal engineering growth program.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key member of the team and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Contribute to the planning of large initiatives.
- Lead technical initiatives within the Talent Profile team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Mentor and be part of the interviewing processes, to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Lead product initiative.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in a quarterly review cycle.
- Thriving in autonomy in every aspect of daily work - be able to unblock yourself by finding the right people or help.
- Being a team player by avoiding solo performances and unblocking your peers.
- Caring for the quality through impactful tests, process change proposal, and raising awareness of issues be it product or technical.
- Caring for architecture - applying best practices, using software design patterns, and bringing ideas for improvements.
- Have a solid 5+ years front-end experience, being primarily focused on front-end development.
- Experience with non-frontend programming languages and technical stacks is welcome.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.