Headquarters: United States
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action
Request for Proposals
Project Title: Community Manager for the Spoke project
Proposals accepted on a rolling basis until: Friday, January 29th 2021
MoveOn is the largest independent progressive advocacy group in the United States. MoveOn is where millions mobilize for a better society—one in which everyone can thrive. Whether it’s supporting a candidate, passing legislation, or changing our national culture, MoveOn members are committed to an inclusive and progressive future. We envision a world marked by equality, sustainability, and justice. And we mobilize together to achieve it.
is a peer-to-peer textbanking open-source software project used widely by progressive organizations to reach millions of people. In 2017, based on original work from the Bernie Sanders campaign, MoveOn open sourced Spoke and began building an open source community within the progressive movement. During the lead up to the 2018 and 2020 elections, MoveOn scaled our use of Spoke, sending millions of SMS messages, millions of messages per day, with thousands of simultaneous texter volunteers. In 2020, more than 500 separate organizations used Spoke, and hundreds of changes have been contributed by volunteer and movement developers. More about the project can be found here
MoveOn has a small but mighty tech team that can’t always keep up with Spoke pull requests and requests for architecture and feature discussions. MoveOn’s goal is to ensure that the community can sustain and be sustained by Spoke development going forward without MoveOn bottlenecking development, while also ensuring a baseline level of system stability.
Request for Proposal:
MoveOn is seeking a part-time Spoke Community Manager who will share codebase ownership, manage pull requests, answer questions in Slack and other community spaces, set up and manage community QA processes, and help progressive organizations and electoral campaigns troubleshoot. Familiarity with software development at a junior level or higher will be helpful, as this role will involve managing the issue backlog, overseeing the QA process, and managing code releases in GitHub.
Scope of Work:
- Learn how to use Spoke as a texter, text message recipient, and campaign manager.
- Set up a local Spoke development environment and learn how to help others set up and troubleshoot their environments.
- Familiarize yourself with the Spoke codebase, including front-end React codebase, back-end Node.js server codebase, async worker tasks, data model, and the postgres database.
- Familiarize yourself with the Spoke issue and pull request backlog, and meet with MoveOn tech team members for onboarding into Spoke context and history.
- Familiarize yourself with the Spoke community: the organizations represented, the individuals using Spoke, the individuals contributing to Spoke, and the communication dynamics of the #spoke Slack channel in the Progressive Coders Network.
- Act as a community-facing release manager for Spoke, defining Git branching, merging, tagging, and versioning processes for Spoke. Fluency with Git and Github is a requirement for this role, where “fluency” is defined as: can handle branching, merging, and the occasional rebase.
- Create and manage community documentation for Spoke deployment/administration and campaigning.
- Manage processes for prioritizing, reviewing, and approving incoming pull requests, as well as bringing mindful access to community members to the Spoke github project. Work with MoveOn tech team members and the Spoke community on this process. This process will require either familiarity with the codebase, React and Node.js frameworks, and design patterns used in Spoke OR an effective strategy for asking questions about the impact of features, tradeoffs involved in changes.
- Manage processes for QA’ing new Spoke changes and organizing changesets into releases. This process should include identifying and documenting test cases and creating volunteer opportunities for testing. Work with MoveOn tech team members to get signoff on this process, and then roll out the process to the community.
- Implement MoveOn equity goals for the Spoke community, focusing on welcoming and including underrepresented members of the progressive tech community and modeling the Code of Conduct.
- Organize and host meetings and relations between organizations using and contributing to Spoke along with volunteer contributors. Meet once a week with a MoveOn tech team liaison to propose ideas, get approval, and report on the status of community management work.
Reports to: Chief of Member Experience. The Spoke Community Manager will also work closely with key tech stakeholders, including developers and project managers.
Total Capacity: Candidate would have 10-20 hours/week availability from contract start date through the end of 2021, with a possibility of extension. Candidate should be able to be online for at least 10 hours/week during U.S. eastern time business hours, with hours chosen by candidate, at least three days per week. Some non-business hours meetings will be useful for engaging volunteers. Invoicing and payment can be once or twice per month.
Trial Period: This contract position would start with an initial two-week contract focusing on onboarding and process discussion to ensure role fit, which then could be extended through 2021. At the end of 2021, another checkpoint will occur, with the possibility to extend the role through 2022.
Proposal submissions: To be considered for this role, please submit a resume and a proposal which includes the following information below. Please make sure to include the following information:
Background: Name, title, and contact information of primary contact.
Experience: Proposals should include a description of relevant experience, including open source community engagement, progressive organizing community engagement, and open source community best practices. A resume may be submitted in lieu of this section if your relevant experience appears within your resume.
Approach: Describe your strategies for managing inclusive open source communities, resolving community disagreements, creating review and testing processes, and working in an all-remote, Slack-centric working environment.
Equity: Please explain whether and how you have advanced the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in your work, and please share how you will center equity in your work for this project.
Schedule and Timeline: Please outline a high-level timeline for your availability, broken down into hours/week through the end of 2021.
Cost: Include an estimate for hourly rate and total available hours in your proposal. MoveOn will consider proposals with budgets up to $100/hr.
Submission: Submit to email@example.com and put "Spoke Community Manager" in the subject line.
- MoveOn reserves the right to make an award without further discussion of the proposal submitted. Therefore, the proposal should be submitted initially on the most favorable terms that the vendor could propose. There will be no best-and-final-offer procedure. MoveOn does reserve the right to contact a vendor for clarification of its proposal.
- The vendor should be prepared to accept this request for proposal for incorporation into a contract resulting from this request for proposal. Contract negotiations may incorporate some or the vendor’s entire proposal. It is understood that the proposal will become a part of the official procurement file on this matter without obligation to MoveOn.
No obligation to contract
This request for proposal does not obligate MoveOn to contract for services specified herein.
Rejection of proposals
MoveOn reserves the right at its sole discretion to reject any and all proposals received without penalty and not to issue a contract as a result of this request for proposal.
The vendor will adopt and disseminate a policy that the vendor, in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, ethnic identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, economic status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected basis.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/moveon-org-community-manager-for-spoke-project-contractor