We are seeking a Senior Backend Engineer to help take our web application and tech stack to the next level. We're looking for a dynamic engineer who is no stranger to building well-designed, performant and effective API framework/components needed for web applications that support complex business rules/flows. You will start by learning from the experiences of our current team and our current offerings and become intimately familiar with our web application and tech stack. As you improve in your understanding of our business logic, you will contribute your API and backend experience architecting the API frameworks and components to adapt to and, working with our architecture group, add more features to our product. You will leverage your experience to drive our team and codebase to a higher level.
What You’ll Do
- Drive API/backend architectural decisions to develop a maintainable a reliable set of edge applications
- Contribute to the Design, development and maintenance of customer facing API using modern development tools and methods
- Collaborate with other team members to build shared services that can serve many applications and scale independently
- Enable our Product Team to tap into our valuable data sources and build incredible features for our customers
- Present ideas that will help shape our technical landscape
- Provide constructive feedback on pull requests to increase code quality
- Ensure quality standards through code and design reviews
Your First 90 Days
By Day 30
- You will immerse yourself in our culture, our product and our tech stack
- You’ll attend Unanet University course offerings to learn the ins-and-outs of our product.
- You will work with your Lead and other Architecture team members to understand our current product architecture, standards and development tools.
- Partnering with the Lead, you will help evaluate and design API framework/components and build proof of concepts, presenting the same to various stakeholders.
- You will contribute to a technical roadmap around the API that takes scalability, testing and performance into account and present a gap analysis of what can potentially be done even better.
- You will taking on development items and get your hands in our current web stack
By Day 60
- You will partner with your Lead to create and help work on a backlog of technical infrastructure work that was identified in your First 30 Days
- With Product Management, you will co-create a backlog of work to be tackled in order to systematically add new features from which the entire team can pull work items from
By Day 90
- You will play an integral in our next major release of our Platform/API
- You will help instill the discipline of effectively monitoring and creating work items from production issues
- You will evolve and uplift our tech stack by continuing to evolve the technical roadmap and future deliveries
- You will help mentor and train other engineers on the API/backend framework or technologies employed.
Who You Are
We look for engineers that share our passion for building and scaling cutting-edge applications in a fast-paced, startup environment - one that already has the benefit of over 3,000 customers and millions of dollars in revenue. We are looking for engineers who have:
- 7+ years of experience developing APIs and web applications
- 5+ years of experience with Java
- Strong proficiency of web services and with developing REST based interfaces, including knowledge and experience with JSON, JSON Schema, or related technologies
- Strong understanding of the web request/response lifecycle and API design, including versioning, isolation and microservice architectures.
- Prior experience architecting and developing public APIs
- Ability to flesh out user stories to be consumed by the rest of the team
- Experience working in an Agile environment (e.g., Scrum, Kanban)
- Ability to collaborate with team members remotely
- You’ve introduced a 3rd tier (API) into a monolithic stack
- API and middle tier unit testing frameworks
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- We are a Team. Employees, customers, and partners working together.
- We are Customer-Focused. Customers are the heart of everything we do.
- We are Driven. Seeking exceptional outcomes.
- We Own our Success. Every employee has a stake in our company.
- We do the right thing and have fun in the process.
Unanet is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for positions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws.