The Lead Instructor position at Codesmith is a unique opportunity to take on an impactful leadership role in a fast-paced and mission-driven technology startup. If you thrive in an innovative work culture, have a passion for teaching and mentorship, and are excited by the idea of helping students achieve their software engineering goals, then this role is right for you.
We want someone to come into our team and lead the instruction of our Software Engineering Immersive program. This position is an exciting opportunity to make a direct and influential impact on the students in our program, ultimately changing their career paths for the better.
Codesmith is the top-ranked coding school in the US with the highest independently verified outcomes for graduates and graduates working in engineering roles at Google, Amazon, Facebook, and more. We are launching diverse new formats for learning online and in-person and are innovators in education. At Codesmith you will be constantly surprised at how quickly a good idea can be turned actionable, and how supportive a team environment can be. The essence of being part of the Codesmith team is understanding deeply where you’re going and then having the creative freedom to get you there.
Codesmith was built to enable people to have the skills to make the impact they want, to do so at a high level of excellence, yet remain accessible and supportive of each other. Our four key company values emulate this:
Execution and ownership is about strengthening the impact of our programs and products and using our own skills to the best of our abilities to do so. Collaboration and community means, even as we focus on execution, we remain a supportive community where it feels good to be achieving excellence because we’re doing it with others. Thoughtful communication is the glue that links Execution & Ownership and Collaboration & Community together. It is both a value and skill that needs to be nurtured. Aspiration for all is the notion that when your work exemplifies these values, there is no limit to the impact you can have within the company, team, and your career.
What you’ll do:
- Take ownership of student excellence and aspiration to ensure Codesmith continues to produce the highest achieving and most impactful community of engineers in the country
- Provide technical mentorship and lectures to students throughout the Codesmith program on intermediate and advanced topics in software engineering and team-based engineering best practices
- Actively contribute to Codesmith’s engineering projects and codebase built in React/Node/SQL and AWS
- Provide ongoing development of lectures and instruction at Codesmith
- Communicate closely with the Director of Instruction and Curriculum, CEO & COO on curriculum, academic, cultural, and engineering developments
- Work with Codesmith team to train and mentor Codesmith Engineering Fellows and Lead Technical Mentors (LTMs)
- Creatively develop and iterate on core Codesmith program and education platform to achieve exceptional outcomes for graduates
You'll be a good fit if you:
- Exemplify comfort and confidence when delivering engaging presentations/lectures - particularly when it comes to complex technical information
- Understand Codesmith’s values and core pedagogy/culture
- Have the ability to inspire people through Codesmith’s core values: Execution & Ownership, Collaboration & Community, Thoughtful Communication and Aspiration for All
- Have the ability to explain complex concepts in a clear manner
- Provide authority, credibility, and empathy in your communication
- Are ready to manage and guide in an academic capacity
- Have a love for software development and passion for growing careers of a diverse new generation of software engineers
Nice to have but not required:
2+ years of working as a professional software engineer
Worked with students and/or in an academic or educational setting
Strong organizational skills
Experience creating curriculum content
Experience teaching in an immersive “bootcamp” type of environment
At Codesmith, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success as an educational company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.