Headquarters: Seattle, WA
NOTE: To be considered for a remote position, you need to be based in the U.S. at this time.
We need a developer with a solid understanding of modern front end technologies and most importantly, the ability to work as part of a team.
Your primary responsibility will be helping maintain our ecosystem of websites. This involves building pages from scratch based on Illustrator or Sketch designs and making modifications to our WordPress and JAMstack (Jekyll-based) sites.
Your HTML5 & CSS3 skills will shine as you show off optimization and code quality when resolving bugs and issues when they come up. You’ll also work at designing and developing better user experiences and measuring the effect on those through A/B tests.
We practice good coding standards, we build for the future, and we don’t believe in cowboy coding or working in a bubble. We’re looking for thinkers … with talent.
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
- Writing code with a focus on performance, speedy page load times, improving conversion rates
- Building sites and implementing redesigns, designed in Illustrator/Sketch, on our WordPress or static-based sites
- Coding features for our sites (both through WP Themes and not) using HTML5/CSS/PHP/JS
- Designing and developing better user experiences and measuring the effect on those through A/B tests
- Future-proofing our sites with maintenance fixes, updating features, and rolling out responsive, mobile-friendly platforms
- Conversing, committing, and delivering via Asana/Slack/GitHub/email (in whatever order that is)
- Exploring new technologies/tools for finding solutions to new (and old) problems
- Optimizing conversions with A/B testing
Application Architecture (things you’ll HAVE to know)
- Experience with static site generators like Jekyll, Gatsby, or Hugo
- Fundamental PHP experience especially as it relates to maintaining WordPress themes and websites
- Semantic HTML
- Sass, Bourbon, etc. (or other CSS pre-processor)
- CSS Frameworks (Bourbon/Neat, Bootstrap, etc… we roll our own, btw)
- Experience with build and package management tools like Gulp, NPM, Bower, etc
- Structured Data (gotta satisfy the Googles)
- Advanced understanding of all the cool buzzwords… SEO, Web-standards, accessibility and usability concepts, information architecture, UX & UI design (heavy on the UX)
- Good communication skills & a great can-do attitude (We’re totally serious about this one.)
- A GitHub account or experience with other version control (SVN, CVS, etc. … but git/gh is where it’s at)
- Jekyll, Liquid (templating)
- HTML, CSS
- PHP, WordPress, MySQL
Prefer to have:
- Google Analytics/Google Tag Manager/Google Optimize
- JAMstack (Jekyll, Gatsby, Hugo)
- Node.js, Express, React
- Build Tools (Gulp, Webpack)
- AWS Lambda, RDS, Firebase, Netlify
- MongoDB, GraphQL, and Apollo
- Chris Coyier is a hero of yours.
- You’ve hosted a website with Netlify, Forestry, or a similar service
- You have converted a WordPress website to Jekyll, Hugo or another static site
- You know the entire CanIUse library inside and out.
- You want to teach as much as learn.
- You have a pixel-perfect design eye with Photoshop/Illustrator or Sketch skills to match. It’s going to come in super-handy.
- You read sites like SmashingMagazine.com and actually put tutorials into practice.
- You’ve attended a WordCamp, Meetup, or other industry conference.
- Located in University District of Seattle
- Cool office perks (free sodas/Topo Chico/coffee, snacks, etc.)
- Generous salary considerations & full benefits
What We Value
We love to work as a team but office hours are flexible. Producing is more important than meeting a “9 to 5” schedule. We understand there are moments when you need to isolate yourself to concentrate so working from home is permitted and encouraged. We like to have a good time and minimize stress with good in-office coffee, lounge/reading time and regular happy hours. We work hard and meet realistic deadlines. What good is delivering a poor product early?
OneCare is committed to bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and be their authentic self, feel a sense of community, and do great work together. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
- 401K (+ company matching)
- * Medical, dental, and vision is covered by OneCare.com for the employee
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Flexible schedule
- Opportunities to work remotely
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/onecare-media-experienced-front-end-web-developer