Founded in 2005, today over 300,000 websites have used Crazy Egg to understand how their audience experiences their website and their product. We are pioneers in data visualization, in conversion rate optimization, and in helping small and medium businesses get immense value quickly and accurately from incredibly large data sets. That's what we love to do. We are looking for a Front-End/UX Developer to help build on that foundation and improve the user experience of our products.
You will be joining a small, but passionate Crazy Egg team as a Front-End/UX Developer and assist us in building smooth, beautiful and pixel-perfect user experiences.
Here's what that looks like at Crazy Egg, and here are the values you’d be excited to stand behind:
As a team we strive for:
- Direct, undeniable, customer impact. We have incredible customers that we're grateful for and we believe the best teammates are the ones who, regardless of function or discipline, are eager and excited to find a way to connect their work directly to customers.
- Trusted independence with interdependence. You are fully trusted as a full owner of the work you do; self-determined, responsible, accountable, and celebrated. With that freedom, you acknowledge, a broader social context. We work together, we partner, we collaborate, and we make sure the work we take on and hand off is done thoughtfully and with care.
- Assume positive intent. All outcomes may not be what we desire, what we expected, or what we needed. But they happened because people take chances and are willing to make decisions. We assume people try their hardest and try their best, we assume their actions started with the most positive of intentions. Every conversation, assessment, piece of feedback, starts with that assumption, on both sides. This ensures our team is built on a foundation of trust.
- Care and inclusion; sincerely. We work at Crazy Egg because we believe in the opportunity, we believe in the vision, we believe in our people, and we believe in our ability to build something wonderful. It is those beliefs that also mean we care about the market, we care about the vision, we care about each other, and we care about building something wonderful. When all of this falls into place, our customers are able to build better businesses and succeed.
As a developer what we hope you strive for:
- The ability to work independently and with other engineers to develop new user experience-focused web applications, or provide support and improvement for existing flows.
- Assist in the research, design and implementation of pixel-perfect user experiences.
- Have the ability to work on the front-end for multiple different application stacks, including based on HTTP/REST APIs and GraphQL.
- Collaborate with designers, backend and systems engineers, and clients to understand business goals, analyze requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution and delivery of the end product using the best technologies.
- Assist in scoping, estimating, and planning of projects.
- Participate in code review, pairing, written documentation/communication and other forms of knowledge sharing.
- Mentoring and helping others grow and make an impact.
Experience and Skills we are looking for:
- Deep experience building scalable, performant, reusable CSS/Less/SCSS.
- Deep experience with design tools - explicitly Sketch and InVision, with Figma welcomed.
- Prior experience and comfortable developing with single-page/reactive applications - we use Ember.js, Mithril and Stimulus.
- Comfortable building templates that will be integrated with server-side code.
- Comfortable using git, webpack, npm, and other asset compilation tools.
- Excellent planning, communication and collaboration skills.
- Understanding of best practices for web development, design, and devops principles.
- You've had 3+ years of experience building beautiful user experiences on production applications, ideally with several thousands of users.
- Previous remote working experience
Nice to have, but not fully required experience:
- Design skills and a portfolio of past work (Dribbble, Github, Personal site etc).
- Prior client services, consulting, or freelancing experience
- Working in a startup environment
- Previous role as a team leader or working closely with other types of engineers
- Working on web applications that process large volumes of data and/or receive high volumes of traffic
- Using Docker/Kubernetes in a production environment
- Background experience with TypeScript, Ruby/Rails/Stimulus, React/Redux and/or Elixir/Phoenix a bonus.
Perks and Benefits:
- We believe in building the best team possible, regardless of geographic location. Our team is fully distributed all over the world and we believe in working where you’re the most productive and happiest.
- We have full trust in you and believe in finding a good balance. Work should be a marathon, not a sprint, and so we offer several days of paid vacation.
- We provide full benefits of Dental/Medical.
- We believe in supporting your growth and opportunity. Crazy Egg was founded 14 years ago by accomplished founders. If you are looking to learn what it takes to one day break off on your own and start your own startup, we think this is a good opportunity for you.
Direct applicants only. No recruiters please.
Please send us an email sharing more about yourself. We'd also like you to answer these three questions for us:
- Please expand on some of the reasons you're interested in joining our team at Crazy Egg and why you believe it may be a mutual fit?
- Tell us about an interesting user experience challenge that you've faced in the past. Share the problem, your approach in scoping down potential solutions, and what the final outcome was.
- Describe the standards you hold yourself to as a Front End Engineer when it comes to producing and delivering your work.
After the Application
We will be collecting applications for 2 weeks after which a handful of applicants deemed the best overall fit by our team will receive a Task as a follow-up; the task will be used as a topic of discussion during subsequent interviews.
To apply: firstname.lastname@example.org