Why you want to work at Flexion:
Flexion is looking for a Strategist who has a unique combination as a UI Developer to join our Flexion team in supporting a large agile government initiative in the Maryland/Virginia/Washington DC area. We are seeking someone who is both creative and intuitive in assessing problems and uncovering long term solutions.
Flexion (an agile software company that's been delivering excellence
for over 24 years), our company culture is built on autonomy, trust, and
transparency. We empower teams to remain autonomous and self-directed
by hiring people who can solve complex problems by functioning
collaboratively-this means lending a hand and flexing your multi-skilled
muscles (research, content, business analysis, information architecture, etc.) as needed. Every member within a cross-functional team is a leader who takes responsibility for the entire team's success, which mirrors the company's overall flat structure.
What the job looks like:
You'll use your start-up mentality to help determine the viability, impact, and value of many different kinds of digital product and service ideas within the federal government. This involves deep user and internet research, coupled with the ability to ask the right questions at the right time. Part of validating solutions will be building out prototypes and MVPs as the idea takes shape. Your work in creating these deliverables will help illustrate the need and possible solution to decision makers. This work will be part of a recommendations presentation to the product owners about if the project should move forward. You and the team would be tackling several of these problem statements at a time, arriving at answers within weeks, not months.
experience using the U.S. Web Design System. Jamstack is a necessity,
content management systems like Drupal are highly desired. In a
fast-moving project, you can balance the need to go deep versus going
wide, directing efforts where they are most effective. You don't create
documents and prototypes for the sake of producing them (though you're
certainly adept in those skills); instead, you focus on efforts that
move conversations forward. You should be comfortable with ambiguity
(both in ideas and processes), but seek to clarify wherever possible.
You'll be responsible for advocating for users every step of the way using human-centered design principles while participating in research efforts to test if we're solving the right problem, building the right thing, and meeting real needs. The project work is primarily remote but may require some client on-site work estimated at <10%.
- Lead project deliverable and research activities (e.g., workflows, information architecture, sketching, mockups, prototypes, design patterns, microcopy, interaction design, usability testing) understand requirements, goals, and constraints, generating insights that shape the UX strategy and design decisions
- Work with designers on other product teams to help ensure user interaction and design consistency across the program
- Advocate for the users while balancing business needs/goals throughout the project
- Effectively communicate goals, designs, research, feedback, ideas, and requirements (both verbally and visually, when needed) to the team and stakeholders
- Pair and mob with UX designers and content strategists to collaboratively develop and refine designs, while providing feedback on proposed technical solutions that affect the user experience
- Prototype, test, and iterate on designs
- Facilitate collaborative client discovery and design workshops
Why we want to hire you:
You can design small pieces as you go, while still thinking about how they fit into the whole. You welcome change as a positive thing (instead of viewing it as "rework") and never look at anything you deliver as "final." You understand when "good enough" really IS good enough, without ever compromising on the overall product quality.
- At least 2 years experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working in a UX focused environment
- Experience with the US Web Design System is beneficial
- A bachelor's degree or commensurate experience
- A "can do" attitude devoid of ego
- Superb time-management, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of lean and agile methodologies to deliver a quality product with minimal churn
At Flexion, we live by these principles:
- Speak openly and honestly with your colleagues and clients about problems and proposed solutions
- Welcome and handle changing requirements and priorities with little or no warning
- Collaborate online in small groups about 50% of the time
- Encourage simple and minimal solutions that keep options open
- Expect and vocally advocate for quality first
- Learn new practices and techniques as the situation demands
- Ensure the teams develop demonstrable software every week or two
- Do what needs to be done to deliver the product or project without ego or attitude
- Dig deep to find the root causes of problems so we can create the right solutions
- Relentlessly improve yourself, your team, and your processes
The most efficient way to reach our recruiting team is to submit your resume through the URL provided. If you have questions or would like more information about this job posting or if you'd like to know more about Flexion Inc. in general, please contact Chris Giese at
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us atfor assistance.