Headquarters: New York, USA
- Design, implement and manage solutions for web applications including system architecture, database models and coding standards
- Develop, iteratively improve and maintain existing and new HPC applications using AngularJS (1.5 and above), Angular (7 and above), Node.js, PostgreSQL, Docker and Solr
- Discuss and improve specifications in conjunction with the project manager and business owners
- Contribute to Agile sprint and release planning
- Review code submitted by team members using the Git workflow model
- Develop and review unit tests
- Work closely with the OCHA-wide infrastructure team for code deployments, troubleshooting and other related issues.
- Develop and review technical documentation for developers and application administrators to support and maintain the system
- Contribute to the wider OCHA software development effort, including participation in regular knowledge interchange, joint events etc.
- Assist with data migrations as needed
- Advanced-level university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, software engineering, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years, a technical/professional diploma with additional four years, or a secondary school diploma with additional six years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced-level university degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience is required of online database application development and implementation.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of developing on a Linux environment.
- Demonstrated experience in web development projects in a consulting or professional services environment, working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in development of web applications using RESTful API backends
- Experience of code versioning using Git workflow and sprint/release planning
- Experience working both independently and in collaboration with remote, geographically diverse teams - must be very comfortable working via e-mail, chat, IRC, audio/video conference etc.
The successful candidate will also have experience in as many as possible of:
- Developing with AngularJS (v1.5 and later)
- Developing with Angular (v7 and later)
- Developing with Node.js
- Developing with SQL-based open-source databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Use of Sequelize or similar ORM
- CSS and use of pre-processors such as SASS or LESS
- Management of dependencies, code deployment to various environments and development workflow.
- Working on projects using an agile framework
- Experience of developing web applications in other programming languages would be beneficial.
- Some knowledge of Drupal-based websites, particularly regarding integration of database applications with Drupal front-ends, and website development in PHP would be an asset.
- Some experience working with the public or not-for-profit sector would be an asset.
- Intermediate or fluent knowledge of English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language (Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and French) is an asset.
As this is a home-based role, the successful candidate will need to provide their own workspace, including high-speed internet connection and a local development environment running on Linux or MacOS. Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: INternational Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA-1/ICSC-9
Contract duration: full-time for an initial period of six months, to be extended depending on satisfactory performance evaluation.
Duty Station: home-based, occasional travel to Geneva, Switzerland might be required