SemanticBits is seeking a Backend Software Engineer to implement a wide range of REST services in Node.js and databases. You will work in a closely knit Scrum team to solve complex backend problems, such as integrating external services into our services, adding new database structures, and implementing new REST services in Node.js with a focus on security, performance, and scalability. You will dig into business requirements and implement complex logic using modern technologies like Node.js. We believe strongly in test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment, and we have a strong DevOps mindset. This is a remote position, though we do have offices in Herndon, VA and near Baltimore, MD.
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services, and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We develop cutting-edge solutions to complex problems for commercial, academic, and government organizations. The systems we develop are used in finding cures for deadly diseases, improving the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people, and revolutionizing the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. There is a meaningful connection between our work and the real people who benefit from it; and, as such, we create an environment in which new ideas and innovative strategies are encouraged. We are an established company with the mindset of a startup and we feel confident that we offer an employment experience unlike any other and that we set our employees up for professional success every day.
We are looking for a Backend Software Engineer who is well versed in the following key technologies:
- Experience building enterprise-scale backend REST services using an API-first paradigm
- Hands-on experience building services with Node.js and ECMAScript 2017
- Intimate knowledge of crafting highly performant database queries using frameworks like Sequelize, knex, or other query builders/ORMs
- Hands-on experience implementing relational database structures, including tables, indexes, views, etc.
- A mindset towards building systems for the cloud and DevOps fundamentals
- Working knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure, such as EC2 and RDS
- Hands-on understanding of virtualization and experience with Docker
- Focus towards building security, performance, and scalability into services from the beginning
- Generous base salary
- Three weeks of PTO
- Excellent health benefits program (Medical, dental and vision)
- Education and conference reimbursement
- 401k retirement plan. We contribute 3% of base salary irrespective of employee's contribution
- 100% paid short-term and long-term disability
- 100% paid life insurance
- Casual working environment
- Flexible office hours