Banno is redefining the relationship between forward-thinking financial institutions and their customers. Banno leverages bleeding edge technology and an industry leading product vision to make user-friendly mobile and web apps. We have a first-class API; the same API our web and mobile apps use is the same API that is open to the community to build on top of and extend.
You are infinitely curious and thrive in an environment where you are constantly learning and growing. You want to be somewhere that you are trusted and set up for success every day. You want to be somewhere that surrounds you with great managers, engineers, and co-workers who drive you to be better everyday.
As a manager, you care as much about the overall production of the team as you do their shared culture and well-being. You strive to set the team up for success by helping them overcome potential obstacles and communicate their needs to the appropriate channels. You’ll work with the team to identify their strengths and weaknesses, and enable processes to support their unique working style without compromising their efficiency (a little rudder far from the rocks).
Banno values trust and those with a bias towards action, and as a manager you’ll work to instill these beliefs within your team. We have a remote-first culture that challenges you each day and supports your growth. We are confident you will love it here.
What you and your team are working on
The Senior Engineering Manager is responsible for balancing the team’s work between cross-functional strategic projects. You will support and develop the engineers on your team by providing advice, coaching, and educational opportunities, as well as propose and drive processes to facilitate and promote communication, transparency, and trust. Together with the team, you will support delivery by providing estimations, context, and clarity to ensure the team delivers the agreed work with quality and excellence.
The Node Team provides APIs and web servers for a suite of single page applications as well as our online banking product. Our APIs are first-class in nature and are consumed by both our internal teams as well as teams outside of Banno. The engineers on your team are constantly keeping our apps up-to-date with the newest development and deployment practices to offer exciting user experiences for highly secured data.
About the Banno team
We are committed to creativity, thoughtfulness, culture, and openness—the perfect place to make phenomenal products that have a big impact. Our work environment echoes a modern tech startup but we have the security and benefits of a large, publicly traded company. We place high value on continuing education and contribution to, and use of, open source projects.
Our team is distributed and that means you can live and work wherever you want within the US. You’ll get the chance to choose your own tools, work with bleeding edge web technologies across the stack, and contribute to products that are used by millions of people.
Travel of up to 5% may be required for company meetings and professional development.
- Minimum 3 years of experience leading or managing a software engineering team.
- Minimum 2 years of programming experience with NodeJS in a production environment.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed remote teams.
- Experience working on a team with a CI/CD process.
- Familiarity using collaboration tools like Jira to communicate and plan team’s work.
- Experience working with multiple teams and stakeholders to establish roadmap prioritization.
- Successfully lead definition, development, and delivery of a large cross-team project with broad scope and high-value business implications.
- Ability to identify and utilize each individual team members strengths, benefiting the greater organization.
- Plans and leads the development of new software products and enhancements.
- Oversees the analysis, design, development and maintenance of software solutions.
- Oversees the definition and documentation of business and technical design requirements. Oversees the preparation of design specifications, analysis and recommendations.
- Ensures all software solutions and enhancements are fully tested, debugged and meet product quality standards prior to release to QA.
- Ensures all projects are delivered on time, within budget and within a high level of corporate quality standards. Ensures all reported system issues are resolved.
- Ensures technology solutions support the needs of the customer and/or organization.
- Coordinates work and services with other departments, contract service providers, and vendors.
- Determines practicality of ideas based on projected costs and sales potential.
- Performs continuous review of technologies, industry standards and industry-related developments and makes recommendations relative to the need for further research and associated changes.
- Provides consistent leadership to each individual; sets objectives; reviews performance, produces career development plans, and addresses concerns.
- May serve on Product Review Committees, Technology Review Committees and/or other committees, as required.
- May manage vendor relationships.
- May oversee activities relating to website development and management such as the development of websites and applications, ensuring functionality of websites and building software applications to provide the technical architecture of the site, user interfaces, and back-end database.
- May serve as an expert on software architecture and programming principles.